In honor of Father’s Day I thought I would write a touching tribute to my own father. Then I realized it would be much more fun to share with you some random facts about me and my dad. You will see that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree in this family!
Here they are in no particular order:
1) He still talks to a dog, Domino, that died 10 years ago. I talk to anyone and anything, even when there is no one there to listen.
2) He is hairy. I am hairy. Most of my hair is on my head. The same cannot be said for my dad.
3) He sings, hums and/or whistles all day long. I do the same, minus the whistling and humming. I heard once that humming is a sign of insanity.
4) He is super smart and knows everything about everything. I want to know everything about everything.
5) He breaks everything. Nothing glass is safe. I have only plastic wine glasses and stainless steel water bottles because I broke all of the glass ones.
6) When I was little, he picked me up out of my crib and exclaimed “She is so fucking cute!” Coincidentally, fuck is my favorite word. After that exclamation my mom reminded him that he couldn’t say those words around me so he changed “fuck” to “fungus” which then became “fungus berford”. A new language was born.
7) He plays the guitar, both electric and acoustic. He wrote and recorded the song that was playing as I walked down the aisle during my wedding.
8) He is a PGA professional (for those of you who don’t know, PGA is Professional Golfer’s Association). I can hit a golf ball over 200 yards.
9) He loves to cook. I love to cook. Really, are there any Greeks who don’t love to cook?
10) He is almost completely incapable of fixing/building/putting together anything that requires tools. I take after my mom on this one! My mom builds everything. She even pressure washes the deck. I have put together at least 1/2 of the furniture in our house and I fixed a toilet once (I was very proud of myself for that one).
11) When I was little, he gave me a bicycle and told me he built it. I now know that was a joke. See above fact.
12) Every time I would ask my dad what time it was he would say “2:15″. Every time. One of my first posts on here was called It’s Only 2:15??? At first this seemed to be an accident but I find it strangely coincidental that the time of day I went nuts was 2:15.
Reading this list makes me wonder how my mom made it through 18 years with the two of us living under her roof. Thank goodness she loves us anyway!
Happy Father’s Day to all of you dads out there and remember, it’s all your fault.